[Nottingham] Setting MySQL version compatibility?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 15:10:00 GMT 2008

Michael Erskine wrote:
> On Monday 14 January 2008 10:30:34 Martin wrote:
>>> The MySQL question is...
>>> Given a MySQL 5.xx installation, is there a tweak so that it only
>>> accepts MySQL 4.xx queries/instructions so that you can guarantee all
>>> will work just the same on whatever 4.xx series MySQL?
>> Or for a variation on that question...
>> For a few web pages using MySQL via php, am I likely to get away with
>> using the same web pages and data unchanged ok on both MySQL 5 and MySQL 4?
>> Or will that be a nightmare of subtle differences and brokenness?
>
> Why conjecture when you can suck it and see? Seriously: there's too many
> variables and complete unknowns there for me to make an (almost) educated
> guess. You have the data, so just try it out.

I think it's going to have to be that. I was rather hoping not to have
to try clicking through every link! ... I haven't a clue as to what's
been put in there!

As ever, there's never a spare machine and the one I've got
understandably only has MySQL 5.0.45 in the rpm list.

> If you want better system assurance you may want to develop some database unit
> tests.

Mmmm... The real data might be the best test...

So far, on a search through the forums, there's a distinct lack of
complaints from anyone else so I must assume that the mysql_upgrade does
indeed do it's stuff.

(I did find a very good rant about MySQL query parsing being crap
compared to Postgres, and hints about data inconsistencies also... No
surprise there's over 100 replies in defence...)

Thanks,

martin at ml1.co.uk