[Nottingham] [Social] Wed 02/07/2008 Big Wok Food 'n' Beers meet

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Jul 3 15:56:45 BST 2008

Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> This Wed 02/07/2008, by popular request, a return to a good foodie
> favourite:
>

> The Big Wok Chinese Buffet Restaurant

Well... I certainly didn't want any breakfast this morning!

Good Big Wok do as ever. And good varied variedness. There was an
exclamation at one point as to how half the table were very much still
on this planet whereas the other half of the table were rampaging
through various aspects of astrophysics and well on their way out of the
known universe... We did go via procedural vs object oriented vs stream
vs virtual processing before descending into defensive programming and
how all programmers are far too egotistical to bother to include
run-time error-checking in their code... "My code is perfect" ergo no
error checks needed?... (Yes... But what about the /data/ ?!)

So what ever did happen to 4th-Generation programming and error-free
perfection?...

Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams and D&D-ing were mentioned also, on one
occasion with scary telepathic-like prescient coincidence...

We also made a good attack on the chocolate on Stefne's behalf :-p

Very unusually, the other Michael wasn't wearing his one threadtux
T-shirt for possibly the first time in his existence. (Ooops, slight
slip into reverse-chrono-illogical posting there!)

(Back to bottom posting...)
Oh... And one of the Michaels (not the top posting "other" one) now
sports a most excellent beard and 'tash. He also gave a
mini-demonstration of Rubik Cube solving. Good show :-)

Which conjures up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkft2qaKv_o

Another version more akin to Rubik Torture is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMeRWUt0tkQ

This is another that is quite ingenious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htnL1KTpaY8

... Arduino next?!!

Next nosh is in one month at the Pretty Orchid. There's a Nav Talk in
two weeks time. Anyone for/with anything topical?

Cheers All,

martin at ml1.co.uk