[Nottingham] My fedora 9 experience (vent/rant included)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 16:39:24 BST 2008

Michael Simms wrote:
> I think I need to vent and see if I'm the only one who is currently
> --->this close<--- to just dumping Linux altogether
>
> Ive installed Fedora 9 over the last week on a number of machines and
> already my stress level is going up and up through the roof.
>
> So far, issues Ive found with fedora 9:
[---]
> This is my [un]happy Fedora Linux experience over the last 4 days since I
> got fedora 9 installed. Now tell me, if Im a Linux user since 0.99
> ... HOW are we EVER
> going to win over newbies and non-techies and what the hell chance do we
> have of winning the race.

Use (K)Ubuntu?... ;-)

Mmmm... Quite a frustrating Ouch! Perhaps that's why I don't favour Fedora.

The most often response I've seen about selinux is the instruction to
disable it! I too lost a few hours trying to work with it. It's
certainly secure, too secure to allow any change without significant
work, hence not practical for most systems. It should be good for an
unchanging 'appliance' system.

The DHCP /should/ give out the same IP address to the same identifiable
systems, unless you've run out of leases space.

It all does sound rather fraught and frustrating.

Put your vent on the Fedora forum, but toned down a little to push in
some rapid fixes?

Any religious reason for Fedora?

Hope you've not suffered another change of t-shirt!

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk