[Nottingham] Printer advice

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Mon Jun 2 21:40:54 BST 2008

Evening all.....

My Epson RX620 (scanner/photo printer/card reader) told me this evening that
it needed a service call as some of its parts were beyond their normal life.
Happily, I found somewhere which told me how to reset its software (hold down
the B&W, STOP and Power buttons simultaneously - it then restarts with a
complaint, but restart it again and it goes, in case anyone else needs to
know).

I've had it for about 3 years,during which time it's been steadily better
supported by Linux - but it's clearly getting to the end of its life; plain
print quality is starting to fall, and cleaning cycles and so on are no
longer all that effective.

So...  what would people recommend as a replacement?  Anyone have any recent
experience of such models, their degree of Linux support, and general quality
and overall goodness?

I do use the scanner and the card reader fairly regularly, and whilst I could
have separate units the all-in-one unit has been convenient in space terms.

I'm planning to run this one until it's really had it and/or the ink supply
runs out - which could be a couple of months if it doesn't actually break
down.   However having something specific in mind for when it does give up
(or even perhaps buying a replacement before it does, if the sales are on!)
seems a good idea, Sod's Law being what it is....

--
David Aldred