[Nottingham] Printer advice

Chris Burton Chris at 7of9b.org
Tue Jun 3 00:39:23 BST 2008

>I highly recommend HP for their Linux commitments and for my very good
> experience of our recent HP F2180 all-in-one scanner/printer/copier
> that we got from Wilcos for 30 quid. The carts are reasonably east to
> refill and it acts as a photocopier without having to power on the PC.
> Working well here on Kubuntu 7.10 using CUPS for printing and XSane
> for scanning.

I'm still using a HP L7580 (all-in-one) from testing days but recently the
scanner has started to make noises and not work when using the document
feeder which I think sucks as its only 15 months old. No idea if any changes
had been made before they started to sell them but until it started to play
up I was very happy with it and still on the same set of carts after 1365
pages (It does get very hot (over 30C) in the room its in so this probably
has something to do with it failing). In Linux printing just works over the
network and I've used the scanner via the web interface which seemed to work
OK although it would only save to a PDF file.

ChrisB.