[Nottingham] email (Was: Hello Everyone)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 14:19:40 BST 2008

Chris Burton wrote:
>> The One exception, perhaps?
>>
>> ... Except that is if you're in business and keep an exponentially
>> increasing "Cover My Arse" audit trail of all previous emails in each
>> subsequent email...
>
> I don't really see the point with this either.

/Exactly/ so. My experience is that it is done because of user laziness
and as a consequence the ignorant default setting in certain mail
clients. (That is, the user due to laziness takes the default action
that is by default imposed upon them.)

> IMHO if you keep all the mails anyway there's no point including it
> every time and if you delete early ones you might never know if they've
> altered an earlier portion of the "trail"... It does work if you forward

That's where perhaps we should all move to digitally signing all emails.

Perhaps we should also all use personal and group encryption so that
only the intended recipients can read the mail in the first place.

That would stop a lot of silliness from spam snooping, Marketing
snooping, or just plain simply losing mail.

> to someone else to see the thread but I find it easy enough to select
> all the messages I want to send and forward in a single mail.

I feel that is much better. You then have to consciously select what is
contextually useful, rather than spam with time wasting irrelevance.

How many people go to the trouble of setting up email signing and public
key encryption of their mails?

How many even have a gpg key?

Regards,

martin at ml1.co.uk