[Nottingham] Not printing

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Wed Jun 11 21:59:53 BST 2008

On Wednesday 11 June 2008, Ron Wilton wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> I have looked at the printer tool, but am not sure what options to change.
> I have made my printer the default printer (by pressing the 'Make default'
> button), but still I am getting no print outs from other programmes (eg
> OpenOffice). However, when I request a Test Page from within the printer
> tool I do get a test page printed out.
>
> Hoping you can help.
>
> PS I do like your quote at the end of your email.

I had a similar problem a few months ago - I'm using Sidux so probably a few
software versions ahead of Ubuntu (so my system breaks before yours!).  The
advice on the Sidux forum was to do:

modprobe lp
echo lp >> /etc/modules
apt-get remove --purge cupsys
apt-get install cupsys
 ---or---
 apt-get install cupsys cupsys-driver-gutenprint hplip

(the alternatives there depending on the printer you use).

Also make sure your user is in the groups lp and lpadmin.

That worked for me to get local printing back: network printing was still a
problem, but IIRC that was something to do with the file
 /etc/cups/cupsd.conf: if you get your printer working locally but not over a
network come back and I'll try to remember what the magic was for that bit!

--
David Aldred