[Nottingham] Unexpected inconsistency

Ron Wilton ron_w_add at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 23:21:47 BST 2008

Hello

I logged onto Ubuntu Linux this morning and got the following. I pressed CONTROL-D and continued using Ubuntu.

/dev/hda7: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
    (i.e., without -a or -p options)
/dev/hdb6: 62969/36528 files <plus other numerical data not copied from the monitor>
fsck died with exit status 5
    ...fail!
*File System check failed
A log is being saved in /var/log/fsck/checkfs if that location is writeable.
Please repair the file system manually.
*A maintenance shell will now be started
CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and resume system boot
bash:no job control is this shell
bash:groups: command not found
bash:dircolors: command not found
root at ron-desktop:~#

This evening I logged on again and got the following message. Again, I pressed CONTROL-D and am continuing to use Ubuntu.

/dev/hda7 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
/dev/hda7:
Entry 'gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_gutsy-updates_main_binary-i386_packages' in /lib/apt/lists (684143) has deleted/unused inode 684695. CLEARED.
/dev/hda7:
Unattached inode 684773
/dev/hda7: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
    (i.e., without -a or -p options)
fsck died with exit status 4
    ...fail!
*File System check failed
A log is being saved in /var/log/fsck/checkfs if that location is writeable.
Please repair the file system manually.
*A maintenance shell will now be started
CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and resume system boot
bash:no job control is this shell
bash:groups: command not found
bash:dircolors: command not found
root at ron-desktop:~#

Can someone tell me what's happening, and what I need to do to prevent the need to press CONTROL-D, please?

Thanks

Ron