[Nottingham] Unexpected inconsistency

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 23:51:44 BST 2008

Hi,

from what you pasted it looks like there is minor damage to a
partition with the OS in it. I don't know if you have a separate
partition with your personal files in it. I say it's minor because the
system was able to come up after you pressed Ctrl-D.

What next? If you're being cautious you'd back up any personal info,
just in case you lose anything else. Then at the maintenance shell
investigate further or repair the FS.

You could try to just see the errors on the FS with:

 fsck -n /dev/hda7

Or you could try an interactive repair:

 fsck /dev/hda7

Or the 'don't ask me, just fix it now' option:

 fsck -y /dev/hda7

In the worst case the 'fix' could scramble the rest of the partition,
or could remove files that would mean you have to reinstall Ubuntu.
That's why it's wise to backup while you can.

Post another message if you get stuck, I've based the options above on
Fedora's fsck but it might be different for Ubuntu. Good luck!

-Cam