[Nottingham] digital camera query

Andy White andy at milky.org.uk
Wed Jun 25 23:38:20 BST 2008

> Have recently bought a digital camera (Kodak M883 EasyShare) and am trying to
> get the pictures from it.
>
> Plug camera into cable and insert into USB port - good, it recognises that a
> USB camera is there. Use digiKam to open the device and after a bit it
> displays lots of thumbnail pictures called 100_001.jpg and so on. Great - I
> recognise them as the pictures I took. Now to copy them to my hard drive and
> save/print/burn to CD whatever. This is where I have problems. Having
> displayed all the images as thumbnails, it seems incapable of copying any of
> the image files, and I don't know why. All I get is a message "unable to copy
> file" and an option to quit or try the next selected image - but they all
> fail.

dunno about any of this fancy gui stuff, but have you tried gphoto2 with
it?

Looks like it's supported under the standard ptp protocol; in fact
libgphoto2 specifically mentions a kodak M883.

It's possible it also has a few different methods for offering up the
pictures, I know one of my cameras claimed to do usb mass storage or ptp
(except only one worked reliably).

If gphoto2 can drive it, at least that's a start