[Nottingham] Fedora 9 boot problem

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Mon Nov 17 14:14:22 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 04:25 +0000, gadget.pat wrote:
> I have been going round in circles for days so what am I missing or
> doing wrong? Any pointers on how to get Fedora to boot straight to the
> login screen or straight to the desktop?

When you get the blank screen, can you CTL-ALT-F1 back to a login
prompt? If you can, then X is starting but is somehow not displaying
properly - that could well be as Michael says, that GDM isn't running.

It doesn't run from a service entry, it's runs from init so /etc/inittab
should have this at the end:

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

If it doesn't, then add those lines and "kill -HUP 1" as root. Hopefully
you'll get a login prompt.

As an aside, does the graphical bootloader fire up for you or do you get
the "traditional" text-based startup sequence?

Graeme