[Nottingham] Digital cameras & Christmas!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 10:13:22 UTC 2008

OK... From my first foray into filtering through the Marketing
'distractions'...

> Any comments from anyone for particularly good examples/deals?

All and any welcome.

> 1: Cheapie point'n'shoot, preferably able to work also as a glorified
> webcam;

Although no explicit 'webcam' function, this category has just got to go to:

Canon Powershot A560 7MP Digital Camera

for a mere £60 on the high street! It also easily merges into category 2!

> 2: Good point'n'shoot with optical viewfinder, x4 optical zoom,
> point'n'shoot but with the options for manual override;

Some options are:

Canon Powershot E1 10MP Camera

Canon Ixus 80 IS 8MP Digital Camera (only x3 zoom but nicely
pocket-sized small)

Sony Cyber-shot W170 10.1MP Camera

And slightly more chunky:

Kodak ZD710 7MP Digital Camera

Fujifilm Finepix S1000fd 10MP Camera

> 3: £500 or so DLSR, with "LiveView", and good in low light for such as
> astronomy.

Well, this one seems to get the rave reviews and does look good for the
mix of features and cost:

Sony Alpha 350 Digital SLR Camera - 18-70mm Zoom Lens

Anyone know how good the alternative Tamron lenses are?

A few beers needed to narrow down further or whatever!

martin at ml1.co.uk