[Nottingham] USB dial up modem

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Oct 1 12:01:54 UTC 2008

Stripes wrote:
> Has anybody had any luck with USB dial up modems on Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy

For dial-up, do you really want the hassle of a USB
(upload-the-firmware) crippled modem? You can get them to work but it's
a bit of searching around to do it.

Unless you do have one that is already fully supported, a £10 rs232
stand-alone full modem is far easier and will just simply work.

(Or am I getting tired of crippled hardware adventures?)

Aside: I've got one-or-two HCI/HCF PCI modem cards that are up for grabs
for anyone interested. Used long ago on various distros with the
appropriate kernel modules loaded. (Remind me on the day to bring them
along if wanted!)

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk