[Nottingham] CMOS Checksum error

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 2 12:15:41 UTC 2008

Hi, Ron:

It's your battery. Doesn't matter that you only replaced it in May, some
motherboards drain the CMOS battery very rapidly; this is a particular
problem if you switch your system off at the wall. Lithium coin cells
also have a comparatively short shelf life (a few years as opposed to a
decade for zinc-carbon or alkaline batteries), so if you used old stock
(you'll likely never know unless you got the cell in a retail package in
which case the use by date would be on the pack), then you'll see a
need for replacement much sooner.

Cheers,

TLP