[Nottingham] CMOS Checksum error

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 12:36:47 UTC 2008

Jim Moore wrote:
> Hi, Ron:
>
> It's your battery. Doesn't matter that you only replaced it in May, some
> motherboards drain the CMOS battery very rapidly; this is a particular
> problem if you switch your system off at the wall. Lithium coin cells

Agreed with Michael and Jim.

Also, I wouldn't leave a PC powered up or plugged in merely to save the
cmos battery, some PSUs take a few Watts on 'standby'!

Also check whether the contacts are dirty and clean if not shiny.

I'd recommend Wilkos or Maplins for a replacement battery. Some
'jewlers' can well have a very low turn-over for the cells and so have
already 'pre-aged' cells.

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk