[Nottingham] help required with ubuntu

Jason Liquorish jason at dropshock.com
Sun Oct 19 18:14:55 UTC 2008

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 16:21:32 +0000 (GMT)
SANDRA MCLEAN <sandra.mclean2 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> hi all,
> i've got ubuntu heron installed on my dell laptop,
> but appear to have lost all sound on all music players, the bbc i
> player, infact i think it's gone completely does anyone have a quick
> fix?? it's possibly connected to not being able to install all my
> updates??
>
> thanks
> sandra

I have seen this a few times with pulseaudio, it does not like it when
you have multiple programs wanting to use the sound server. If you open
a terminal (Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal) and put in
"killall pulseaudio" then restart the applications that are trying to
use sound it should fix it. From what I have heard the main culprit for
causing this is flash which the iPlayer uses.

--
Jason Liquorish <jason at dropshock.com>