[Nottingham] help required with ubuntu

Michael Erskine msemtd at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 20 11:07:27 UTC 2008

2008/10/19 SANDRA MCLEAN <sandra.mclean2 at btinternet.com>:
> [I] appear to have lost all sound on all music players, the bbc i player,
> infact i think it's gone completely

Sound can be a funny one on a Linux box, even after all these years! I
was wrestling with randomly failing sound from Java applications
yesterday and found that OSS-aware apps still fight with ALSA-aware
apps for control of devices such as /dev/dsp. My solution there was to
run my Java apps from within aoss (http://alsa.opensrc.org/Aoss) --
now I can listen to iPlayer or Amarok whilst using Rubik's JTimer
(http://code.google.com/p/rubiks-jtimer/) and not miss my countdown :)

I don't know if this will help you Sandra, but I thought I'd mention
it since it surprised me: I fully expected sound on Linux desktop to
"just work", which it usually does (for me anyhow).

Regards,
Michael Erskine.