[Nottingham] Boot stuck

Peter Woods peterwoods at f2s.com
Mon Oct 20 16:55:08 UTC 2008

Michael Leuty wrote:
> My box has two hard drives. There is a dual booting system with WinXP
> on /dev/sda1 and Fedora on /dev/sdb2.
> My limited understanding is that it boots from the MBR on the first
> disk which directs it to GRUB on /dev/sdb2.
> Now sadly booting fails, with the following message:
>
> Could not find kernel image: linux
> boot:
>
> I know the two drives are still working because I can access them by
> booting from a live CD.
>
> What has gone wrong, and can I fix it with the Fedora rescue disk?

You don't make it clear if the Wxp boot works.
Is the GRUB loader on the sda or sdb?
Try checking the BIOS boot setting.
Change it to boot from "the other" hard drive.
I have restored a GRUB setup with a Mandriva disk in rescue mode on a
Mandriva box, so it should work on Fedora.
Mandriva rescue just asked if I wanted to restore GRUB? So Fedora will
probably do the same.
If all else fails, a Win floppy start disk can restore the MBR to
Windoze only,
(in case you have no O/S at all) (obviously not the case.)

HTH
Pete Woods