[Nottingham] Acer Aspire One

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Tue Oct 21 20:47:37 UTC 2008

2008/10/21 David Aldred <david at familyaldred.org.uk>:
> Hey, someone else with one!
>
> What sort of battery life are you getting?   Mine comes out at 2.5 to 3 hours,
> depending what I'm doing with it.

Yes, battery life is not good. I've not timed it, but it only seems to
be about two hours. However it was shutting down at 30% charge, and
the most recent BIOS update is said to have cured that problem.

You can buy larger batteries (£50 from amazon.co.uk) but they spoil
the Acer's slim good looks. (That wouldn't bother me much, I lost mine
long ago.)

It is said that hard drives and WinXP increase battery consumption. I
bought the cheapest (8Gb solid state memory) because if you are going
to buy a Simple Cheap Computer you don't want to push the price up by
paying for extras. By happy chance, it came with the better operating
system.  ;-)

2008/10/21 Peter Woods <peterwoods at f2s.com>:
> Making a USB key installer was a doddle, after I tried to do it on a box
> with a hard drive.

I followed the destructions at macles.blogspot.com which seems a very
useful site.

And speaking of destructions, I successfully got GRUB working again on
my dual boot box following the advice at
http://www.whoopis.com/howtos/howto_restore_mbr_grub.php

Cheers,

Mike

--