[Nottingham] Nottingham Digest, Vol 289, Issue 3

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Apr 20 10:07:29 UTC 2009

Jim Moore wrote:
> does anyone have a copy of ******&^$*%^£*^%$£&(!)

Errr... No.

A J R R Tolkien is far more interesting.

Meanwhile, as a background task/experiment, I'm chewing through some
Gentoo...

... And tripping up on root=/dev/sda1 not being found. Grub is on
/dev/hda1, and I've got USB and SCSI compiled into the kernel (and not
as modules).

"VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)"

By the wonders of chroot, I've got it running another recompile from the
live (minimal) install cd with a few more tweaks and will next try
adding a rootwait to the kernel line.

At 533MHz on a "VIA C3 Samuel 2", the compile is going to take a little
while...

(It can run Ubuntu but hideously slowly!)

All good fun!

martin at ml1.co.uk