[Nottingham] Nottingham Digest, Vol 289, Issue 3

Michael Erskine msemtd at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 20 10:30:18 UTC 2009

2009/4/19 tony atkins <tony_atkins at hotmail.com>:
> but the nottingham linux users group is?
> yawn yawn - where shall we meet for munchies? -  surely time for something
> new
> oh no - we are quite cozy doing nothing
> posting nonsense about nonsense
> yawn
> yawn

Hmm...

Let's put this down to an incorrect dose of medication. Not that it
doesn't raise some thoughts about the role of the group (both actual
and perceived): it is widely discussed at the meetings. Linux is
different things to different people and the group has morphed in
recent years with the maturing of the major distros into consumer
end-products (albeit flawed, as they all are). The group lends support
where it is available but usually my own first port of call isn't this
group but Google (and quite specific searches of Debian and Ubuntu
forums and lists). Others concur: things are changing and most of the
activity is off-list. It's a big subject -- I help out with the group
where I can but I'm very aware that it's not the same as in the early
years. The spark is less obvious but people are still passionate about
out little OS.

Regards,
Michael Erskine.