[Nottingham] Gentoo fun on an old VIA Epia C3

Roger Light roger at atchoo.org
Tue Apr 21 09:18:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:43:16PM +0100, Martin wrote:

>  > At 533MHz on a "VIA C3 Samuel 2", the compile is going to take a
>  > little while...

I've been running gentoo on a 600MHz C3 Samuel 2 for almost exactly
5 years now. How the time flies! I've never used it as a desktop
machine, but I did have X+vnc installed earlier on. I did always
dread the gnome/kde releases! Get rid of X and it's not so bad
though.

It works well as my router, file server (nfs/samba), asterisk
server, apache server, as my persistent client for irc and some
other bits and bobs.

That five years is on one "install" as well, with just continuous
incremental upgrades. There have definitely been problems along the
way that have needed manual intervention to fix but I figure that
happens to all distros at some point. How many people expect some
sort of problem upgrading to the upcoming Ubuntu release? :)

> Next to try is to see whether the compiler option "Os" is better
> or not than "O2"... Anyone tried a comparison on a C3?

This page reckons that -Os isn't recommended:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-optimization.xml

Cheers,

Roger