[Nottingham] Gentoo fun on an old VIA Epia C3

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 21 02:44:03 UTC 2009

I love Knoppix/Debian 5.1-i586 on my Via Epia-M 10000 board (1.0GHz
Nehemiah)... makes for a perfect addition to the living room (the VCR
is noisier!) and is more than capable of handling capture through a
Pinnacle composite capture card (which occupies the sole PCI slot),
512MB of PC133 (which occupies the sole DIMM slot), onto the 40GB
notebook drive (OK, not so huge for a DVR but it does the job for
15.75 hours of DVD-quality video...).

Only real issue I had with setup was the Unichrome graphics (fixed by
using VGA and outputting via composite to the TV, but that did drop me
to 8MB of RAM for video rather than the maximum 32MB which would have
been preferable, but I got it working OK through the TV so I wasn't
about to mess with it!), and the Realtek sound driver(!) which did
eventually and quite miraculously, start working on its own (while I
was messing with the graphics setup, as it happens. Go figure).

Yea to old hardware!

(Plus the fact that the board cost me a tun, as did the case, so I
ain't about to bin it, not while it's still working...!)