[Nottingham] Why free software shouldn't depend on Mono or C#

Michael Simms michael at linuxgamepublishing.com
Mon Aug 3 16:43:56 UTC 2009

On 07/31/2009 08:40 AM, Martin Garton wrote:
>> Ive just been discussing that subject via a blog post - the problem
>> with this is that it encourages open source to be harder to use or
>> broken, compared to proprietary. If your only way of making money is
>> support, it doesnt encourage good software
>>

> This is only true in the absence of a free market.  Fortunately, we live
> in the real world.

I dont think it is.
It means, sure, that the ones that people will pick the one that is best
that they need to pay least for support for at the best price. It means
that the ones charging just for support will get squeezed out by better
versions that require less cost to support that do a good job. Great for
the consumer, but there is thus an ever decreasing value in the model...
Until you hit a point where you cant make enough money to live that way.

--
Michael Simms, CEO - Linux Game Publishing LTD
http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com