[Nottingham] Backups without updating atime?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Aug 5 14:16:51 UTC 2009

Joshua Lock wrote:
> 2009/8/5 Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk>:
[---]
>> Or is mounting "noatime" the only way to go? (Why have atime at all??)
>
> I've never been sold on atime, do *you* need it?

Not that I know of, and yes there's the old folklore about Pine or some
such old mail reader utilising it...

But other than as a 'nicety', why is "atime" there? What use has it?

I'm already using reltime as a 'nicety'.

... Just wondering if there is some common practice for backups and
backups-verify that is simpler than remounting things "ro". "relatime"
will still get updated when you do a verify of a file older than 24 hours.

Also, (OK, ultimate laziness here!): Is nodirtime needed in addition to
noatime to avoid disk writes for just reading a directory? (The "man
mount" page doesn't say...)

martin at ml1.co.uk