[Nottingham] Backups without updating atime?

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Wed Aug 5 21:29:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 15:16:41 +0100
Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:

> But other than as a 'nicety', why is "atime" there? What use has it?

Years ago, when working as a Solaris system admin at Canary Wharf, I
used to adopt an "if you haven't used it for a year, you've lost it"
policy when clearing space in NFS home directory partitions in an
emergency.

Something like: find . -atime +365 -size +1000k -exec rm -f {} \;

.. from the top of the partition. Don't try this at home.

It had other uses as well, but I can't remember any now I must admit.

James