[Nottingham] Gentoo experts: emerge file collisions!?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Aug 14 12:20:23 UTC 2009

Martin wrote:
[---]
> I'm logging the output to see what happens...

Well... The collisions still showed up:

 >>> Installing (18 of 24) sys-libs/glibc-2.9_p20081201-r2
  * checking 1313 files for package collisions
1000 files checked ...
  * This package will overwrite one or more files that may belong to other
  * packages (see list below). You can use a command such as `portageq
  * owners / <filename>` to identify the installed package that owns a
  * file. If portageq reports that only one package owns a file then do
  * NOT file a bug report. A bug report is only useful if it identifies at
  * least two or more packages that are known to install the same file(s).
  * If a collision occurs and you can not explain where the file came from
  * then you should simply ignore the collision since there is not enough
  * information to determine if a real problem exists. Please do NOT file
  * a bug report at http://bugs.gentoo.org unless you report exactly which
  * two packages install the same file(s). Once again, please do NOT file
  * a bug report unless you have completely understood the above message.
  *
  * Detected file collision(s):
  *
  *      /lib/libthread_db-1.0.so
  *      /lib/libpcprofile.so
  *      /lib/libSegFault.so
  *      /lib/libmemusage.so
  *      /usr/bin/ldd
  *      /usr/bin/lddlibc4

... And 313? in total.

portageq owners / /lib/libthread_db-1.0.so

Gives:

sys-libs/glibc-2.8_p20080602-r1
         /lib/libthread_db-1.0.so

Which is no surprise.

So... What is the procedure to complete the update without breaking the
system the update is running on?

(Or is this just a case of over-caution in portage?)

martin at ml1.co.uk