[Nottingham] Water cooled CPUs - worthwhile?

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 21 11:32:58 UTC 2009

I don't know why he added the Peltier except possibly to pump heat
directly away from the CPU  and into the block (dry tests looked
pretty good tho), as for the water thing: it's down to the specific
heat capacity of water. At 4.186J/g/K, this is one of, if not the
highest, SHC for any fluid at normal ambient temperature/pressure. To
convert  1Kg of pure water at 373K to 1Kg of steam at 373K requires
2.3MJ (or in real terms, a P4 Cedar Mill processor running at full
load (86W) into a cooling system with no external sink for seven and a
half hours). So for a starting temerature at ambient of 393K, it would
require 2.63MJ to  boil off the entire tank. Given evaporation
effects,  infrared radiation, air convection, and the fact that an
open-tank watercooling system needs topping up every so often (a
technicality most watercooling efficianados solve with a bottle of
distilled cold water near to hand), then the likelihood of a
watercooling system failing  is pretty much lower than a fan spinning
in a single PTFE sleeve bearing at 6000RPM, 24/7/365. We're not going
there with seam leakage.

in one line: you don't need to worry about cooling the water in an
open-tank system, it does it itself.