[Nottingham] Water cooled CPUs - worthwhile?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Aug 21 13:21:26 UTC 2009

Jim Moore wrote:
> I don't know why he added the Peltier except possibly to pump heat
> directly away from the CPU  and into the block (dry tests looked
[---]
> convert  1Kg of pure water at 373K to 1Kg of steam at 373K requires
> 2.3MJ (or in real terms, a P4 Cedar Mill processor running at full
> load (86W) into a cooling system with no external sink for seven and a
> half hours). So for a starting temerature at ambient of 393K, it would
> require 2.63MJ to  boil off the entire tank. Given evaporation
[---]
> in one line: you don't need to worry about cooling the water in an
> open-tank system, it does it itself.

Very neat for "quiet". You just have a boiling water cooler there! The
peltier will keep the CPU somewhere below 100 deg C but at the expense
of a few more Watts and the water boiling off a little more quickly.

You could even have it make you a cup of coffee!! :-)

Interesting idea. Except that I'd go for a more volatile fluid or water
at low pressure to bring the boiling point down to 50 deg C or so and
run with that, into a condenser to recycle the condensate. Mmmmm...

Any heat-pipe experts out there?

I like the idea of going pumpless *silent* liquid cooled...

martin at ml1.co.uk