[Nottingham] Water cooled CPUs - worthwhile?

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 21 19:30:19 UTC 2009

I've gone the solid route: my Sempron has a custom three pound block
of fanned and highly polished anodised copper on it (with no fan
anywhere near it). The Samsung hard drive is so quiet you can't hear
it seeking or spinning for that matter, and with the SmartPower 500W
single-fan PSU (with thermal control on the 120mm fan) it's quiet
enough to use in my home studio.

AFAIR there's probably still available a hi-stack aluminium heatsink
for Xeon and Athlon MP* processors. This stands nine inches proud of
the board and has no fan.

*no, that's not a typo. MP is a multiprocessor-capable processor die
as opposed to the XP series which are strictly single processor jobs.
Speaking of which, and slightly offtopic, does /anyone/ on list have a
spare pair of Athlon MP socket A processors? I'm after a pair running
between 1.4 and 2.0GHz - I've got a Tyan Tiger K7 board that's in need
of them. And no, I'm not really brave enough to mod the pair of 2400
Bartons I still have. :\