[Nottingham] Water cooled CPUs - worthwhile?

Iain Lennon ril at doctors.org.uk
Fri Aug 21 21:32:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 16:55 +0100, Martin wrote:
> Martin wrote:
> > Anyone put together a water cooled PC?
> >
> > Worthwhile?
>
> OK, I'm convinced it's worthwhile even if only for the sake of reduced
> noise. OK, so you've got to cool the fluid but that can easily be done
> with slow quiet 120mm fans on a radiator.
>
> So... Anyone done anything like that? What bits?

Quiet PC (www.quietpc.com/uk) or Watercooling UK
(www.watercoolinguk.co.uk) have a good selection. I've used the XSPC X2O
kit twice: once ended in a completely silent PC, the second (current) PC
has a vibration I can't tie down (I'm convinced it's not within the
water cooling components), but is very quiet. I've also included the
water cooling block for my Nvidia geforce 8800 within the circuit as an
extra. The kit has everything you need to get started, bar the fluid

I had a leak second time, which reminds me to say that Tesco's sells 5l
containers of distilled water, critical when working with electronics.

Iain Lennon