[Nottingham] Linux, DSLRs, gphoto2

Richard Ward daedalusfall at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 15:05:49 UTC 2009

Christmas is coming up, and I'm looking at cameras. I've been playing
around with my dad's Cannon 20D which is nice, but weighs a ton.
Grabbing the images isn't quite as simple as with my previous (broken,
non-slr) camera, but doable with gphoto2 (or its guis). However, gphoto2
supposedly is able to control cameras too, getting them to take photos
with given settings and so on. This doesn't seem to work with the 20D
however.

Has anyone tried this functionality with a DSLR? I'd like to know what
stuff actually works with what cameras. This knowledge probably won't
make me buy one camera over another unless its a tie-breaker, but it
would be nice to know.

Thanks.