[Nottingham] Moving the location of software installed by wine

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Sun Jan 4 13:06:43 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 11:29 +0000, Michael Erskine wrote:
> This looks like the MS Installer checking for installed .Net
> components. I think this is a question for the WineHQ forums
> (http://forums.winehq.org/).

Yup, that would be a very good place to ask. Also worth noting is the
Wine "registry" which records the locations of the installed
applications - you can't simply move a directory, especially a
high-level one, without editing the registry too (if necessary).

> Whilst it is interesting that Office 2007 runs well under Wine I can't
> help but blurt out that Office 2007 sickens me and has the most
> ridiculously broken user interface ever!

Oh, come on, you can't possibly be insinuating that you don't like The
Ribbon? Oh, you're not insinuating at all... and I agree - after a year
of using it reasonably regularly I *still* hate it, because all the
menus have gone missing behind buttons and the context-sensitive
right-click mouse button, well, isn't. At least not in the context of "I
actually quite liked Office 2003, what the hell have you done with my
menus?"...