[Nottingham] Eee?

Simon Osborne flibble at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 01:02:30 UTC 2009

2009/1/8 Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk>

> Folks,
>
> I'm very tempted to join the NLUG Eee group with a:
>
> Asus 10" EEE PC 1000H 1GB 160GB BLACK LINUX
>
> One requirement is for the HDD space hence the SSD versions are excluded.
>
> Any others I should be looking at or that are recommended instead?

The Advents are quite good and are apparently Linux compatible. PC World
have the Advent 4213 for £249 which has a 10.2" screen, 160Gb hard disk, 1Gb
RAM and a SIM card slot for wireless broadband. The module is a Huawei E620
and works with the new Ubuntu network tool.

Personally I'd buy the Advent as it's a lot more portable with built-in 3G.
I currently use a USB dongle with a Vodafone PAYG sim and currently pay £1 a
day when I use it, and nothing when I don't. They will soon offer £7 a month
unlimited (subject to 3Gb limit) on PAYG.

edit: I don't own one of these machines. What I know is from reading various
forums.

Simon