[Nottingham] Eee?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 12:37:43 UTC 2009

Eeee by gum, more choices... :-)

>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I'm very tempted to join the NLUG Eee group with a:
>>>
>>> Asus 10" EEE PC 1000H 1GB 160GB BLACK LINUX

10" WSVGA screen 1024 x 600-pixel resolution
1.6GHz Intel Atom N270
1GB RAM
120GB HDD

Bluetooth
Fast Ethernet
IEEE 802.11a/g/n
1.3Mpixel webcam, stereo microphones & speakers

3 x USB 2.0
2-in-1 Card Reader: MMC, SD

£268.98

>>> One requirement is for the HDD space hence the SSD versions are excluded.
>>>
>>> Any others I should be looking at or that are recommended instead?

Advent 4213 (A rebranded version of the ECS G10IL)

RAM - 1024 MB
Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Home
Processor - 1.60 GHz Intel Atom N270
Hard drive - 2.5" 160 GB SATA
Monitor - 10" WSVGA screen 1024 x 600-pixel resolution
Memory Card Reader - 4-in-1 card reader
USB - 3 USB 2.0 ports
Modem - High speed 56K modem
Built-in 10/100 Mbps Ethernet network interface
WLAN - WiFi 802.11 b/g
Built-in 3G module (SIM card not supplied)
1.3-megapixel webcam with microphone
Weight - 1.4 kg with 6-cell 4400 mAh battery

(Shame about the OS but Linux can be installed)

£249

Some reviews complain about the keyboard and build quality...

> I'm happy with my Aspire One: the latest versions have a 3G modem built in, it
> seems, though you would be best to check that.   Current models are 8.9", but
> they have announced a 10.1"  model for February.

# Acer Aspire One A150 Netbook

# 8.9" Acer CrystalBrite™ TFT LCD
# Operating System: Linpus Linux Lite version
# Processor: Intel® Atom™ processor N270
# Memory: 1024MB RAM (2*512MB Configuration)
# Storage: 120GB SATA Hard Disk Drive
# Connectivity: Wireless LAN b/g, LAN: 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet
# Webcam: Integrated 0.3Mp Acer Crystal Eye webcam
# I/O Interfaces: 3 * USB PortsPort, 5-in-1 card reader (SD), (MMC),
(RS-MMC), (MS), (MS PRO), (xD), SD™ Card reader for storage Expansion
# Battery Pack: 3 Cell (3 Hours Battery Life)

£215

Spoilt for choice...! The 3G PAYG looks rather tempting...

Next is to check what Mandriva Linux supports and how well.

Thanks for the leads,

martin at ml1.co.uk