[Nottingham] Eee?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 11:33:50 UTC 2009

Folks,

And the decider goes to:

>> I'm happy with my Aspire One: the latest versions have a 3G modem built in, it
>> seems, though you would be best to check that.   Current models are 8.9", but
>> they have announced a 10.1"  model for February.
>
> # Acer Aspire One A150 Netbook
>
> # 8.9" Acer CrystalBrite™ TFT LCD
> # Operating System: Linpus Linux Lite version
> # Processor: Intel® Atom™ processor N270
> # Memory: 1024MB RAM (2*512MB Configuration)
> # Storage: 120GB SATA Hard Disk Drive
> # Connectivity: Wireless LAN b/g, LAN: 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet
> # Webcam: Integrated 0.3Mp Acer Crystal Eye webcam
> # I/O Interfaces: 3 * USB PortsPort, 5-in-1 card reader (SD), (MMC),
> (RS-MMC), (MS), (MS PRO), (xD), SD™ Card reader for storage Expansion
> # Battery Pack: 3 Cell (3 Hours Battery Life)
>
> £215

The keyboard is fine, and the screen is good and clear. Looks like
Mandriva runs sweet and smooth on it.

The only mediocre bits are the webcam and sound. But hey-ho, the webcam
is more than 'good enough' and I'll plug in headphones or external
speakers if I want HiFi sounds.

The various 10" Netbooks are simply just too big! The 9" wins on being
the best compromise between a usable keyboard and luggability.

Now to get one...

ps: Why are the sales assistants in various high street computer stores
so utterly hopeless? My encounters were that they could do nothing other
than just read what was on the sales label, and nothing more. All very
'friendly' but GBytes and GHertz were meaningless to them!... No useful
advice possible. All adrift in Marketing bamboozlement?...

ps2: One sales assistant dare not touch any of the Linux Netbooks
because they were not Microsoft and so were too scary and confusing. A
30 seconds demonstration from me showed that the same "point 'n' click"
was used to start applications... The assistant then commented that it
looked just the same as Microsoft! :-o ... A convert or just following
along?... Perhaps I should be doing sales instead of being a customer!

martin at ml1.co.uk