[Nottingham] Partition resizing

Charles Samuels charles at kde.org
Fri Jan 16 07:36:05 UTC 2009

Danny King wrote, on Thursday 2009 January 15:
> 1. Back up all the data on / into a .tar.gz (should I do this in a
> different way?) and place it onto an external hard drive

May I recommend rsync on this task. What you can do is use rsync with the "a"
option (among others) while you continue to use your computer. Then when it's
finished, you boot into livecd and run rsync again to finish off (and it will
complete in just a couple of minutes this time). There's no reason to use use
a tar.gz for this task.

Charles