[Nottingham] Microsoft EULA simplified?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Jul 10 11:22:55 UTC 2009

Michael Erskine wrote:
> 2009/7/10 Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk>:
>> (OK, there is 'autologin' to boot you straight into a user account on a
>> linux system, but there's still usernames and passwords in there that
>> are required for certain tasks.)
>
> No passwords here! I have quite a few Linux boxes (of the smaller
> and/or automated kind) with no usernames/passwords exposed to the user
> at all. Physical access to the machine is considered acceptable
> credentials -- you can't SSH in without a login of course!
>
>> Computers should just simply work.
>
> They simply do -- now define "work" :)

OK then... Include "simply play" instead! :-)

Further thought: Given a preconfigured system, I guess sudo can fill in
for the root-esq system tweaks. Hence, you can have the system set
passwords that are completely random. (Mmmm... I'm sure we've mentioned
that once or twice before somewhere...)

Include strict sandboxing for all web browsers (or even a mini-VM), and
certainly permit nothing like the vulnerability silliness of ActiveX,
and all stays 'safe' for the web.

That leaves conning the user into installing malware as the largest
security vulnerability...

WGA: Windows Genuine Advantage (a euphemism for 'anti-piracy checks' and
for imposing restrictions on users)

VM: Virtual Machine

martin at ml1.co.uk