[Nottingham] Microsoft EULA simplified?

Michael Erskine msemtd at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 10 12:07:02 UTC 2009

2009/7/10 Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk>:
> Include strict sandboxing for all web browsers (or even a mini-VM), and
> certainly permit nothing like the vulnerability silliness of ActiveX,
> and all stays 'safe' for the web.

This goes way beyond the discussion of "are user logins intrusive?" --
vulnerabilities are a different issue. Privilege escalation by system
flaws even more so. Local user logins are only necessary when limiting
physical access to the machine is not enough or where it is desirous
to somehow distinguish between users. In those cases it is by
definition not intrusive -- it is desired! If we're talking (at cross
purposes) about privilege escalation to perform a particular task, and
that being achieved with sudo, or login as another user (perhaps, god
help us, root) then surely that too is by design, entirely necessary,
and therefore also not intrusive!

Regards,
Michael.