[Nottingham] What has Linux done for you?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Jun 16 12:59:55 UTC 2009

Folks,

To paraphrase a certain (in)famous phrase from The Life of Brian[1],
here's a possibly interesting article on the place of Open Source in the
real world:

How Open Source Can Beat the Status Quo
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/166551/how_open_source_can_beat_the_status_quo.html

... Or can it?

(I suspect that a certain big vendor will simply recolour it's spots and
lead people up a garden path to lock them into "open sauces" (garden)
forks...)

So what has Linux done for you?

Initially for myself, it was an 'obvious' route to avoid the silliness
with anti-virus and (the lack of) security with the OS I was using at
the time. Linux also offered unix-style preemptive multitasking and
threads, both not available at the time on that certain other 'OS'. The
zero licence fee was very good also. Since then, lots of friendly fun!

[1]: See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Python%27s_Life_of_Brian#Political_satire

martin at ml1.co.uk