[Nottingham] Ubuntu comes of age...

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Fri May 22 19:20:25 UTC 2009

On Friday 22 May 2009, Joshua Lock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2009/5/22 Sergiusz Pawlowicz <sergiusz at pawlowicz.name>:
> > On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:23, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Let the penguins march onwards!
> >
> > If we are talking about distros for portables, did anybody try moblin?
> >
> > http://moblin.org/community/blogs/imad/2009/moblin-v20-beta-netbooks-and-
> >nettops-its-here
>
> First of all, thank you! I've been resisting self-plugging since we
> announced :-)
>
> Please; download it, try it and let us know what you think.
> You can run the distro from a USB key fairly well so you don't even
> have to nuke any existing installs on your netbook.

I was thinking of having a look at it; I've just put Ubuntu UNR onto my Aspire
One, and it's definitely worth having a proper Linux on it rather than the
native Linpus.

UNR is pretty good, but had a couple of drawbacks;  the only thing which
sounded like a potential comparative limitation on Moblin was the breadth of
software on the repos.

--
David Aldred