[Nottingham] Going Moblin

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 21:10:56 UTC 2009

Hello!

2009/11/28 Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk>:
> Folks,
>
> Just tried out Moblin on Mandriva 2010 and, it's rather refreshingly
> good and different.

Thanks! Out of curiosity can you tell me which connectivity solution
Mandriva ship Moblin with. Is there a connmand process?

> It's clearly weighted towards mobile users with a "web presence". The
> first options are for IM and IRC. However, there's the full range of
> whatever applications you have installed available on the apps tab.
>
> First impressions are that it is exactly what it should be. Nicely
> minimalist but with well styled icons. A nice surprising touch of compiz
> animations for various actions that give a good cute factor but without
> being "in-yer-face" overt.
>
> OK, from first impressions, I rather like it for casual netbook use.
>
> One omission is that there is no "logout". You must press the power
> button to then trigger a shutdown. But then again, a moblin user likely
> wouldn't have multiple desktops and multiple OSes on a mere netbook!

That's not an omission, it's done on purpose ;-)
Though we understand, and oft hear, how irritating this is for people
running Moblin on a device with other desktop environments installed.
Patches welcome!

> Also, the bubble helps don't appear for every clickable bit. So what is
> the noughts-&-crosses to the right of the address bar for?...

That seems likely to be a bug. The button you are referring to is the
settings icon.

> Include a 'welcome' feature so that all bubble helps are switched on
> initially and then they can be switched off when they become irritating?...

An out of the box/first boot experience is high on the agenda for the
next release.

> And for a geekie bit, some timings on my 1.5GByte Acer Aspire One,
> Mandriva 2010.0, whilst on mains power:
>
> Cold poweron to grub:   7s
> grub -> kdm:            27s
> kdm -> Moblin:          7s
> kdm -> Icewm:           3s
> kdm -> KDE4:            27s (to the start of the welcome sound)
>

> And my preference?
>
> Well, normal usage is still KDE4 despite the abysmal startup wait. For
> quick hackings I use Icewm. To show off, I think I'll be demoing the Moblin.

As someone entirely out of the range of target users, I appreciate the
positive feedback and will be sharing that in the office on Monday.

--
Joshua Lock
Moblin Team Member