[Nottingham] Reading a partition difficulty

Ron Wilton ron_w_add at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 29 11:10:00 UTC 2009

Hello

Using gParted I have created a new partition on the extended partition on my second drive (this second drive was my original drive before I got a larger one and have kept it in the computer without reformatting it as there was data on there that I wanted to keep).

I want to use this new partition to keep photos in along with some html files that I use to view these photos. I also want all the accounts on my computer to be able to read, write, and execute files in this partition.

Though the partition (I have included it in the /etc/fstab file) shows up on the desktop after doing the commands below, I an unable to copy any files into photos01 let alone do anything else with this folder.

++++
ron at ron-desktop:~$ sudo mkdir -m 660 /media/photos01
ron at ron-desktop:~$
ron at ron-desktop:~$
ron at ron-desktop:~$ sudo mount -a
ron at ron-desktop:~$
ron at ron-desktop:~$
ron at ron-desktop:~$ ls -l /media
total 45
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root        6 2007-05-29 21:48 cdrom -> cdrom0
.
.
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root     4096 2009-11-27 22:45 photos01
.
.
drwxrwx--- 20 root plugdev  8192 2009-11-29 10:37 Win98
ron at ron-desktop:~$
++++

Can anyone advise me where I am going wrong, please?

Thanks

Ron