[Nottingham] Please take my broken laptop!

Michael Erskine msemtd at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 5 14:39:47 UTC 2009

All,
Offered to a good (or indifferent) home: my once trusty (but now
broken) Medion MD95924 (MIM2220) laptop.

The nature of the brokenness is interesting (if you are interested in
this sort of thing) :-

* the machine hangs upon startup with an Intel Centrino BIOS logo (or
a different logo if the wifi card is disconnected!)
* in the past, to get past this hang, a slight twist of the body of
the laptop would do some magic to allow the machine to proceed to the
GRUB menu
* first boot would be without sound but subsequent boots would be OK
* this "hardware tweak" doesn't seem to work for me any more :(

So, it is offered to whoever wants to attempt a repair. Failing a
repair, the lucky recipient would at least have some free laptop
components. I bought this machine in June 2006 and it has the
following sales blurb: -

* Microsoft media centre 2005 edition
* Intel Centrino mobile technology
* 15.4" TFT EXGA colour display monitor
* 16:10 for optimised DVD movie playback
* Dual layer DVD-Writer/-Rewriter (DVD+RW/+R-DL/RAM + CD-RW and DVD-ROM)
* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
* 40 GB hard disk
* 256 MB DDR II RAM memory
* 16 bit soundchip & 2 integrated speakers
* Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 - Wireless LAN 802.11g/b with up to 54 Mbit/s
* 10/100 Mbit Fast-Ethernet and 56K V.90 modem
* 3 x USB 2.0
* Main powers supply
* Li-lon battery

I ran it dual-boot Windows XP Pro MCE and Debian. Here's the CPU info
(from when it last worked!)...

    mick at brock:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 13
    model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz
    stepping        : 8
    cpu MHz         : 1700.000
    cache size      : 2048 KB
    fdiv_bug        : no
    hlt_bug         : no
    f00f_bug        : no
    coma_bug        : no
    fpu             : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level     : 2
    wp              : yes
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr
                      pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2
                      ss tm pbe nx up est tm2
    bogomips        : 3396.82

It has an extra Gig of RAM but I'll probably retain the HDD.

Anybody want this once much loved Debian-friendly laptop?

Regards,
Michael Erskine.