[Nottingham] apache or squid for proxying?

Mike Cardwell nlug at lists.grepular.com
Wed Oct 14 23:26:24 UTC 2009

Martin wrote:

> Crazy thought... Would a transparent proxy that then works through a
> non-transparent proxy defeat that exploit?
>
> PCs -- (lan) --> transparent proxy ----> proxy (& gateway) ----> internet
>
> You then still get the advantage of not having to change any settings on
> the PCs already set up on an internal network.

Nah, that wouldn't make any difference. The hole would still be open.

This is all theoretical anyway, I'm not sure if it is being actively
exploited anywhere. I know if I had an hour spare I could write an
applet to exploit it pretty easily though. I work by the theory that if
I can do it, there's 10's of thousands of evil hackers out there that
can do it better.

--
Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226) http://cardwellit.com/