[Nottingham] Software for mp3/mp4 players

Richard Ward daedalusfall at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 21:30:00 UTC 2009

I have for a while been looking for something nice for GNU/Linux to
transfer audio/video files to my MTP based mp4 player (a Creative Zen).

Amarok used to work for me (for audio) but the KDE4 version doesn't seem
to have the capability. Gnomad also works but doesn't convert files for
you, doesn't understand samba shares and (IMO) has a clunky interface.
There are some other desktop players that claim to support MTP players
but in actual fact do not. There may be others (which I'd be interested
in hearing about).

So I decided to write my own: MMXfer.

It's a very simple interface which allows you to right click on a file
or bunch of files in Nautilus (or dolphin/whatever) and have them
transferred to your device. It will pull files from any location (local
disk, samba share, URL), copy them to your computer (if needed), convert
them to mp3 and re-tag them (if needed), and upload them to your player.

Its available at http://code.google.com/p/mmxfer/.

At the moment its very much alpha software, and it only does audio files
(soon it will do videos as well). For now at least it is only intended
to send files, it can't be used to organize files already on the device
like you can with gnomad.

I'm posting this here in the hope that it'll be useful to someone, but
also in the hope that I might get some feedback on it (comments/bug
reports/whatever).

If anyone wants to try it out feel free to mail me off list or on the
project web page if it won't install or doesn't run properly.

Thanks,
Richard