[Nottingham] Dell supplying preloaded Ubuntu PCs... or not

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Aug 8 13:34:18 UTC 2010

On 24/07/10 14:01, Steve Caddy wrote:
> I've just noticed this...
>
> <http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/07/24/0241204/Dell-Drops-Ubuntu-PCs-From-Its-Website>
>
> ...it can't be good news.

Someone else has noticed the utter demise of Linux on Netbooks:

Where did all the Linux netbooks go?
http://www.happyassassin.net/2010/08/04/more-controversial-crap-or-where-did-all-the-linux-netbooks-go/

"... cites numbers mainly drawn from 2008 and 2009, when Acer and Asus
executives were on record as saying they were shipping 20% and “30
percent to 40 percent” of systems, respectively, with Linux installed,
and one analyst said that 32% of netbooks shipped in 2009 ran Linux, and
predicted that the majority would run Linux by 2012."

And now, there is only WinXP and Win7-starter.

To my mind, very suspicious as to how Microsoft has gained such complete
world domination...

And should we be on the lookout for another seeking world domination in
how Google appears to be scraping all the online information there is to
be had about us all?

martin at ml1.co.uk