[Nottingham] Too much choice!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Dec 19 22:56:53 UTC 2010

Folks,

Just an observation from a newbie to Linux...

After installing a mainstream distro, and enabling all the software
repositories... Trying to select to install any software by category was
just bewildering with hundreds of packages and more for each category!

Looking through the selections, it was bewildering even to me. I quickly
gave up with the icon selection-and-click and instead went dirty with
quick text-based searches/select for known useful packages to install.

100 000 or so applications...

Scary stuff...

For ALL the package managers, there should be a preferred "top-five"
offered for any one category, that can then be followed by the full list
for those perverse enough to scroll through it all. Follow something
like the selection example from Google's Android "Market"?...

Sometimes choice can be scary. Especially so when you don't even know
what you're choosing!

Merry Christmas,

martin at ml1.co.uk