[Nottingham] Connecting router to Virgin/NTL cable

Dave daveluff at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 20 11:16:17 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

I've previously been running ntlworld (now virgin) cable with a small
£20 dlink (DI-604) NAT router behind a several-years-old ntl
cablemodem.  I recall that when I installed it (the router) I had to add
a rule opening port 68 to the outside or it wouldn't obtain an IP
address from NTL.

I've now bought a newer dlink router (DIR-300) that also has wireless,
but I can't seem to get it to obtain an IP address.  I've tried opening
port 68 again, still no joy.  Unfortunately I've set and lost the admin
password to the old router so I can't check exactly what I did that
worked!  Any advice?  A lot of the group must have connected a router
behind an ntl cablemodem at some point - is it normal to have to open
port 68?  I clicked "clone MAC address" but this I think just clones the
MAC address of the PC I used to configure it - is that necessary / correct?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Cheers - Dave