[Nottingham] Connecting router to Virgin/NTL cable

James of the family Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 20 11:27:08 UTC 2010

not heard of the port 68 thing - that isn't normal*. Usually one would
run the modem to the primary PC to get an IP, then connect the modem
to the router's WAN port, dive into the console and set the MAC
address - which is as you say, the router clones the MAC address of
the PC interface you're using and spoofs the modem into thinking it's
still connected to that one PC. On an established working setup this
shouldn't usually be necessary either, you should just be able to
switch out the old router for the new and carry on as normal, but
sometimes there's occasion to clone the MAC address.

*some of the Surfboard modem hacks I've come across /do/ use port 68
for console access, I'm not particularly keen on these as Port 68 is
reserved for the bootstrap protocol client (RFC951) hence /shouldn't/
be used for console applications especially for configuring modems!

On 2/20/10, Dave <daveluff at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've previously been running ntlworld (now virgin) cable with a small
> £20 dlink (DI-604) NAT router behind a several-years-old ntl
> cablemodem.  I recall that when I installed it (the router) I had to add
> a rule opening port 68 to the outside or it wouldn't obtain an IP
> address from NTL.
>
> I've now bought a newer dlink router (DIR-300) that also has wireless,
> but I can't seem to get it to obtain an IP address.  I've tried opening
> port 68 again, still no joy.  Unfortunately I've set and lost the admin
> password to the old router so I can't check exactly what I did that
> worked!  Any advice?  A lot of the group must have connected a router
> behind an ntl cablemodem at some point - is it normal to have to open
> port 68?  I clicked "clone MAC address" but this I think just clones the
> MAC address of the PC I used to configure it - is that necessary / correct?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice,
> Cheers - Dave

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici